The word ‘Chakra’ comes from Sanskrit and means 'wheel'. It behaves like a wheel continually revolving giving colours at different speeds. This wheel starts at the base of the spine and finishes just above the head.
There are seven chakras, each chakra is stimulated by its own and complimentary colour, and a range of gemstones for specific uses. The chakra colours are of the rainbow; red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.
- Root Chakra:- The root chakra, called Muladhara in Sanskrit, starts at the base of the spine at the back and the pubic bone in the front. The colours used for this chakra are red, brown and black. The gemstones are Garnet, Smoky Quartz, Obsidian, and Black Tourmaline.
- Splenic Chakra:- Located at the belly or sacral. It is located two inches below the navel and is rooted into the spine. The main colour used with this chakra is orange. The gemstones are Carnelian Agate, Orange Calcite and Tigers Eye.
- Solar Plexus Chakra:- Located two inches below the breastbone in the centre behind the stomach. The third chakra is the centre of personal power, ego, passion, impulses, anger and strength. When lacking in confidence and worrying or depressed this chakra could be unbalanced. Health problems could include digestion, liver, diabetes, nervous exhaustion, and food allergies. The opposite occurs when balanced you may feel cheerful, outgoing, have self-respect, expressive, enjoy taking on new challenges, and have a strong sense of personal power. The body parts for this chakra include the stomach, liver, gall bladder, pancreas, and small intestine. The main colour for this chakra is yellow. The gemstones are Citrine, Topaz, and Yellow Calcite.
- Heart Chakra:- The heart chakra is located behind the breast bone in front and on the spine between the shoulder blades in back. This is the centre for love, compassion and spirituality. This is also the chakra connecting body and mind with spirit. When this chakra is out of balance you may feel sorry for yourself, paranoid, indecisive, afraid of letting go, afraid of getting hurt, or unworthy of love. Physical illnesses include heart attack, high blood pressure, insomnia, and difficult in breathing. When this chakra is balanced you may feel compassionate, friendly, empathetic, desire to nurture others and see the good in everyone. Body parts for the fourth chakra include heart, lungs, circulatory system, shoulders, and upper back. The main colours used are pink and green. The gemstones are Rose Quartz, Kunzite, and Watermelon tourmaline.
- Throat Chakra:- The throat chakra is located in the V of the collarbone at the lower neck and is the centre of communication, sound, and expression of creativity via thought , speech, and writing. The possibility for change, transformation and healing are located here. When this chakra is out of balance you may want to hold back, feel timid, be quiet, feel weak, or can't express your thoughts. Physical illnesses or ailments include, hyperthyroid, skin irritations, ear infections, sore throat, inflammations, and back pain. When this chakra is balanced you may feel balanced, centred, musically or artistically inspired, and may be a good speaker. Body parts for the fifth chakra are throat, neck, teeth, ears, and thyroid gland. The main colour used is light blue. The gemstones are Aquamarine and Azurite.
- Third Eye Chakra:- The third eye chakra is located above the human eyes on the centre of the forehead. This is the centre for psychic ability. It also assists in the purification of negative tendencies and in the elimination of selfish attitudes. Through the power of the sixth chakra, you can receive guidance, channel, and tune into your Higher Self. When this chakra is not balanced you may feel non-assertive, afraid of success. Physical symptoms may include headaches, blurred vision, blindness, and eyestrain. When this chakra is balanced and open you are your own master with no fear of death, are not attached to material things, may experience telepathy, astral travel, and past lives. Sixth chakra body parts include the eyes, face and brain. The main colours are purple and dark blue. The gemstones are Amethyst, Sodalite, and Lapis Lazuli.
- Crown Chakra:- The crown chakra is located just behind the top of the skull. It is the centre of spirituality, enlightenment, dynamic thought and energy. It allows for the inward flow of wisdom, and brings the gift of cosmic consciousness. The silver cord that connects the aura bodies extends from the crown. The soul comes into the body through the crown at birth and leaves from the crown at death. When this chakra is unbalanced there may be a constant sense of frustration, no spark of joy, and destructive feelings. Illnesses may include migraine headaches and depression. Balanced energy in this chakra may include total access to the unconscious and subconscious. The main colours for the crown are white and purple. The gemstones are Clear Quartz Crystal, Oregon Opal, and Amethyst.